10 Skincare Mistakes to Avoid in your 40’s (and beyond)
As we age, our skin undergoes a number of changes. It becomes thinner, loses elasticity, and is more prone to dryness and wrinkles. It’s a nonstop thrill ride! To keep our skin looking its best, it's important to take care of it properly. However, there are a number of skincare mistakes that we make, which can actually do more harm than good. In this post, we'll discuss 10 ways you can do the right thing for your skin now! We can’t help you turn back time but here’s a few tips going forward:
- Cover Up Dammit!: Sun damage is one of the main causes of premature aging, so it's important to protect your skin from harmful UV rays. When going out, cover up and consider wearing a hat to protect your face and neck. Use sunscreen with at least SPF 30, and reapply every 2-3 hours, even when it’s cloudy.
- Cut the Commercial Crap!: As we age, our skin becomes more delicate, and many commercial products contain harsh cleansers that can strip our skin of its natural oils. Instead of using a water based cleaner, try using an oil based cleansing balm to avoid irritation and keep your skin hydrated. For your face, we recommend our Lovelace’s Citrus Cleansing Balm (it even removes makeup!) and try one of our cold process soap bars for the rest of your body.
- Oil Up Grrrllll… : Moisturizer is essential for keeping skin hydrated, plump, and youthful-looking. Don't skip this step, even if you have oily skin. We recommend our Golden Hour Calendula Face Oil for all skin types but especially those with sensitive and acne prone skin. We also have our Viriditas Radiance Face Oil that is infused with medicinal herbs and flowers to brighten dull skin and keep your pores clear.
- Say No Thanks to the St. Ives! : Exfoliation can help remove dead skin cells and promote cell turnover, but over-exfoliating can actually damage your skin. Stick to once or twice a week, and choose a gentle exfoliant to avoid irritation. We recommend Rosalind’s Rose Cleansing stick with dissolving jojoba beads for light exfoliation.
- Keep it Basic Bitch : Active ingredients like retinol and alpha-hydroxy acids can be great for anti-aging, but using too many at once can be irritating and drying. Start with one active ingredient, and gradually introduce others as your skin adjusts.
- Take Off Yo’ Makeup!: Sleeping in your makeup can clog pores and cause breakouts, as well as accelerate the aging process. Always remove your makeup before bed, and follow up with a gentle cleanser.
- Don’t Look Like A Leather Handbag On That Décolleté: The skin on your neck and chest is delicate and prone to sagging and wrinkles. Don't forget to extend your skincare routine to these areas by using cleanser, moisturizer, sunscreen, and anti-aging products.
- Thank You For Not Smoking: Smoking is one of the worst things you can do for your skin. It depletes your skin of oxygen, damages collagen and elastin, and can cause premature wrinkles and sagging.
- Rest Is Restful: Lack of sleep can cause dark circles, puffiness, and fine lines to appear more prominent. Aim for 7-8 hours of sleep per night to keep your skin looking its best.
- Your Body Is Like A Car, it Needs Constant Care & Tuneups: Skincare is just one piece of the puzzle when it comes to looking and feeling your best. Eating a healthy diet, hydration, exercising regularly, and managing stress are all essential for maintaining healthy, glowing skin.
By avoiding these common skincare mistakes, you can keep your skin looking healthy, youthful, and radiant well into your 40s and beyond. Remember to take care of your skin from the inside out, and don't hesitate to consult with a dermatologist if you have any concerns. With a little TLC, your skin can look its best at any age.